Re: rmgr hooks and contrib/rmgr_hook - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: rmgr hooks and contrib/rmgr_hook
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
>> I've never heard of anyone building a non-core index AM at all; much
>> less trying to use it in a production context.  Given the obvious
>> potential for version-mismatch-type problems, it's hard to believe
>> that anyone ever would try.
>
> The lack of a chicken is not an argument against the use case for an
> egg.
>
> But in any case, Bizgres was exactly this case, so they already did. We
> just forced the authors to produce a code fork to do it, confusing
> people rather than attracting people to Postgres.

Are you referring to the bitmap index patch? IIRC, there was some
non-trivial changes to indexam API in there, as well as issues with
VACUUM. If anything, that patch supports the assumption that anything
that needs WAL-logging is working at such a low-level that it needs to
be in core anyway.