Re: "Stuck" query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tommy Gildseth
Subject Re: "Stuck" query
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Tommy Gildseth <tommy.gildseth@usit.uio.no> writes:
>> Richard Huxton wrote:
>>> Looks like part of your query results being sent. Is it hung in that one
>>> system-call?
>
>> Yes, I left it there for about ~1 hour, and that was all that ever came.
>
> Seems like you have got a network issue.  What does netstat show for the
> status of that connection?
>
> I don't think that a query cancel will blow PG off the send; you'd
> probably have to resort to kill -9 on that process (with a consequent
> restart of other sessions).  It's odd that the kernel hasn't given up
> on the connection yet ...

Netstat showed:

netstat -a --tcp -p | grep 49004
tcp  0  44660 dbserver:postgres clientserver:49004  ESTABLISHED
17504/postgres: nav

I went back to the server the client was running on to double check, and
it seems the client process hadn't been killed off when the application
was restarted.

We've got some scheduled downtime tomorrow, so I think I'll just leave
it till then, since it's not causing any problems as far as I can tell.

--
Tommy Gildseth