Re: 8.3 on FreeBSD 6.3, sudden performance degradations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomasz Ostrowski
Subject Re: 8.3 on FreeBSD 6.3, sudden performance degradations
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2008-09-08 11:46, Ivan Zolotukhin wrote:

> vmstat 5
>   procs      memory      page                   disk     faults      cpu
>  r b  w     avm    fre   flt  re  pi  po   fr  sr am0   in    sy    cs us sy id
> 28 77 0 2328792 793424 34813   0   0   0 4351   0  41 1913 21230 20337 14 86  0

I do not know FreeBSD but can you check what is this "flt" stat? Is this
page fault? That would be a lot of page faults for 5 seconds, which
could mean that this server is memory starved and is swapping a lot.
Check for a process using insane amounts of memory. Maybe you have tuned
Postgres too aggressive.

Show us the output of "free" when there is a slowdown.

Once more - I do not know FreeBSD and just guessing what this "flt" stat is.

Regards
Tometzky
--
...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a
moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you