Re: Best hardware/cost tradoff? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig James
Subject Re: Best hardware/cost tradoff?
Date
List pgsql-performance

This is good advice.  Hot-swapping seems cool, but how often will you actually use it? Maybe once every year?  With
SoftwareRAID, replacing a disk means shutdown, swap the hardware, and reboot, which is usually less than ten minutes,
andyou're back in business.  If that's the only thing that happens, you'll have 99.97% uptime on your server.

If you're on a limited budget, a software RAID 1+0 will be very cost effective and give good performance for lots of
randomreads.  Hardware RAID with a battery-backed cache helps with writes and hot swapping.  If your random-read
performanceneeds outweigh these two factors, consider software RAID.

Craig