Re: Connection to second database on server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Troy Rasiah
Subject Re: Connection to second database on server
Date
List pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Troy Rasiah <troyr@vicnet.net.au> wrote:
>> Sorry for bringing up an old post...If you have a generic set of tables..
>>
>> eg. table of countries / post codes etc which are used across several
>> databases what is the best way to access / store them?
>> I currently
>>  - use dblink to create views when i want to do joins,
>>  OR
>>  - i just open up a separate db handle when i just want to display the
>> data (via a perl script) from the 'generic database' (eg. a select list
>> of countries)
>>
>> but was wondering whether schema's would apply to me as well ?
>
> Yes, schemas would be much better.  The nice thing is with
> search_path, you could have a setup where application1 and
> application2 live in different schemas but have access to a common
> schema.  When running app1, you'd do something like:
>
> set search_path='app1','commonschema';
>
> and when running app2 you'd change the app1 up there to app2 and then
> you could access the tables in both schemas without having to use
> prefixes.

Thanks Scott. We currently do websites for different customers on the
same machine so we have been setting each of them up with individual
(database,user,pass).

Instead should i be setting them all up in the one database and having
individual schema's for each customer and then only granting each user
access to their schema & the proposed 'commonschema' ?

--
Troy Rasiah