Re: How to setup disk spindles for best performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: How to setup disk spindles for best performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Carey wrote:
> For reads, if your shared_buffers is large enough, your heavily used
> indexes won't likely go to disk much at all.

ISTM this would happen regardless of your shared_buffers setting.
If you have enough memory the OS should cache the frequently used
pages regardless of shared_buffers; and if you don't have enough
memory it won't.

> ... splitting up data and indexes ...

FWIW, I've had a system where moving pgsql_tmp to different disks
helped more than moving indexes.