Re: pg_restore fails on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pg_restore fails on Windows
Date
List pgsql-general
>>> 2.Our production PG version is 8.1.3. For some reasons it is not possible to
>> upgrade to the LATEST;
>>> I tested the libpq also on this version and it worked. Is it OK? I mean, did
>> it worked by chance or the library
>>> API & contracts didn't change between this version and latest?
>> Note that libpq is only the *client* side. There is no patch necessary
>> on the server. It might be easier to upgrade than the server?
>
> This I didn't know/realize. It's good enough for us to use only the *client* side from the HEAD.
> I tried the pg_restore from HEAD + patched libpq (on 8.1 installation) and it complained about missing zlib1 library.
When
> supplied, next was libintl3 dll. Further I didn't check. Obviously the library dependencies have changed since the
8.1.
> How can I tell, which libraries/executables/resources of the installation are part of the *client* side (namely
pg_restore),
> so that I can use it independently from the server version?

That is correct, there have been a lot of changes there - mainly in that
8.3 and up are compiled with MSVC which changes some dependencies. I
would suggest you install the latest 8.3 from the MSI installer. You can
then select the client side only. It is no problem to have both 8.1 and
8.3 installed on the same machine at the same time (or you can install
it on a different machine and just copy the necessary files over)

//Magnus