Re: Extending varlena - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Extending varlena
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andrew,
>
>> I always find these requests puzzling.  Is it really useful to store the
>> data for a jpeg, video file or a 10GB tar ball in a database column?
>
> Some people find it useful.  Because LOs are actually easier to manage in
> PG than in most other DBMSes, right now that's a significant source of
> PostgreSQL adoption.  I'd like to encourage those users by giving them
> more useful LO features.

Given that they don't replicate with most (any?) of the currently
available replication solutions, the fact that they are easy to use
becomes irrelevant fairly quickly to larger installations in my experience.

But the interface *is* nice, so if we could fix that, it would be very good.

//Magnus