Re: migrate data 6.5.3 -> 8.3.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From alexander lunyov
Subject Re: migrate data 6.5.3 -> 8.3.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> alexander lunyov <lan@zato.ru> writes:
>> I want to try new pg_dump to connect to old server, but i can't - old
>> postgres doesn't listening to network socket.
>
> It won't work anyway: modern versions of pg_dump are only designed to
> work with servers back to 7.0.  I see from the rest of the thread that
> you tried to bludgeon it into submission, but I'd very strongly
> recommend that you abandon that approach and use 6.5's pg_dump.

Ok, i already have the dumps made with 6.5 pg_dump, but what should i do
with those errors on AGGREGATEs? Do they really exist in 8.3, so i can
just cut them off from dumps and happily restore dumps without them?

> A further suggestion is that you use -d or even -D option on the dump.
> I think there have been some corner-case changes in COPY data format
> since 6.5 days; which might or might not bite you, but why take the
> chance ...

Thank you, i'll redo dumps with this option just to make sure everything
is fine, but despite errors on AGGREGATEs and some types errors all data
was restored correctly even without -d/-D option. But i'll redo them
anyway.

--
alexander lunyov