Re: Plugin system like Firefox - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Wanner
Subject Re: Plugin system like Firefox
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Robert Haas wrote:
> I can't speak for anyone else, but I much prefer packages that make
> use of my operating system's package management system rather than
> rolling their own.  If I need a perl package that I can't get through
> yum, I build my own RPMs rather than installing through CPAN.

I very much agree to that (well, s/RPM/DEB/).

But AFAIK we also need to provide packages for OSes without a package
management system. Windows being the most popular such OS.

Which probably means we should provide something that can work on its
own *or* through another package management system (very much like CPAN
and others, again).

Regards

Markus Wanner