Re: Plugin system like Firefox - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Wanner
Subject Re: Plugin system like Firefox
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> The bottom line is that for software to be successful we need a critical
> mass, and as long as we are doing OS-specific plugins we aren't going to
> reach that critical mass because the OS-specific aspect splits up
> demand.

What about the pgxs toolchain? Doesn't that provide enough
OS-abstraction to be usable for projects outside of Postgres itself? If
no, why not? (I've currently only used it for extensions under different
Linuxen, so I can't tell much about OS-specific aspects of it).

Are you proposing that we should introduce our own packaging system for
such add-on components? Like CP(g)AN (which has been proposed before..)?

Regards

Markus Wanner