Re: Restoration of datas - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Restoration of datas
Date
List pgsql-performance
dforums wrote:
> COuld you advice me on which restoration method is the faster. To
> upgrade from postgresql 8.1.11 to 8.3.3.

Using the pg_dump from your 8.3 package, dump the database using -Fc to
get a nicely compressed dump. Then use pg_restore to restore it. If you
add a --verbose flag then you will be able to track it.

You might want to set fsync=off while doing the restore. This is safe
since if the machine crashes during restore you just start again. Oh,
and increase work_mem too - there's only going to be one process.

What will take the most time is the creating of indexes etc.

It will take a long time to do a full restore though - you've got 64GB
of data and slow disks.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd