Re: Avoiding Application Re-test - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Avoiding Application Re-test
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>> Not foolproof, but still worth it. This would allow many users to
>> upgrade to 8.4 for new features, yet without changing apps.
>
> Won't there normally be a number of changes that *cannot* be covered by
> such a parameter, without a whole lot more work in the patch?

Slightly OT, but just so it's on the record.

I'm of the opinion that whatever packaging system eventually makes it's
way into PG it needs to apply to stuff that's in core at the moment.
That way I can just unload network_addr_types and I no longer have to
worry whether applications might be affected by an incompatible change.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd