plan invalidation vs stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martin Pihlak
Subject plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Howdy,

What is the status of plan invalidation vs stored procedures? From
the initial design discussion I understand that function change handling
was postponed to "some time in the future". Is anybody already working
on that or maybe some ideas of how to implement this?

The business case for the feature is that most of our db logic is inside
stored procedures and hence use cached plans. Every time a function is
dropped and recreated we get a storm of "cache lookup failed" errors.
If we are lucky, the DBA will detect it and apply appropriate workarounds.
If not ... things get messy.

We are considering of hacking up a proprietary solution to address our
specific problems (e.g. invalidate every plan on pg_proc changes). But I
think that this is something that would be useful to a wider audience and
deserves a more general solution. How about it?

regards,
Martin