Re: Database size Vs performance degradation - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrzej Zawadzki
Subject Re: Database size Vs performance degradation
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mark Roberts wrote:

>> Huh?  Vacuum doesn't block writes.
>>
>>                         regards, tom lane
>>

> Of course, you are correct.  I was thinking of Vacuum full, which is
> recommended for use when you're deleting the majority of rows in a
> table.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-vacuum.html

Maybe I'm wrong but if this "bulk insert and delete" process is cyclical
then You don't need vacuum full.
Released tuples will fill up again with fresh data next day - after
regular vacuum.

I have such situation at work. Size of database on disk is 60GB and is
stable.

--
Andrzej Zawadzki