Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0 v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0 v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Martijn van Oosterhout napsal(a):
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 12:06:08PM -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
>> I guess that'd be the reason to keep it on pgFoundry, but I have two
>> comments:
>>
>> * 2-3 years is a *long* time in Internet time.
>
> There have been patches over the years, but they tend not to get looked
> at. Recently someone pulled up the COLLATE patch from a couple of years
> ago but it didn't get much feedback either. (I can't find the link
> right now).

I know about it. I have printed your proposal on my desk. I think It is linked
from TODO list.

> It's disappointing that the discussions get hung up on the ICU library
> when it's not required or even needed for COLLATE support. My original
> patch never even mentioned it.
>
> I note that Firebird added COLLATE using ICU a few years back now. I
> think PostgreSQL is the only large DBMS to not support it.

Complete agree. Collation missing support is big problem for many users.

>> * There is on guarantee that it will be finished in that time or,
>> indeed ever (no disrespect to Radek Strnad, it's just there are always
>> unforeseen issues).
>
> I think that with concerted coding effort it could be done in 2-3
> months (judging by how long it took to write the first version). The
> problem is it needs some planner kung-fu which not many people have.

I agree that 2-3 months on fulltime is good estimation, problem is that you need
kung-fu master which has time to do it :(. What we currently have is student
which works on it in free time.
    Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql