CONNECT BY and WITH ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hans-Juergen Schoenig
Subject CONNECT BY and WITH ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
good morning everybody,

i know that this is really a hot potato on the mailing list but i think
it is useful to discuss this issue.
in the past few months we have been working with a customer to improve
evgen's CONNECT BY patch.
as we have a nice and promising WITH RECURSIVE patch the original
CONNECT BY codes are pretty obsolete.

however, in the past view weeks I have been asked more than once if it
is possible to use the current with patch and add the parser support for
CONNECT BY to it. so, people had the choice whether to go with CONNECT
BY syntax (to be Oracle compliant, which is important) or ANSI SQL
compliant (which is important as well).

how are the feelings towards an improvement like that?
i would ease the pain of many people for sure.
   best regards,
      hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH