Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0 v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0 v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan napsal(a):

> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>>

>> 2) contrib vs. pgFoundry
>>
>> There is unresolved answer if we want to have this in contrib or not.
>> Good to mention that citext type will be obsoleted with full collation
>> implementation in a future. I personally prefer to keep it on
>> pgFoundry because it is temporally workaround (by my opinion), but I
>> can live with contrib module as well.
>>

> Is there a concrete plan to get to full collation support (i.e. per
> column) in any known time frame? If not, then I think a citext module
> would be acceptable.

Collation per database should be part of 8.4. Radek Strnad works on it as a SoC
project. He plans to continue on this work and implement full support as his
Master of Thesis in 2-3 years time frame.
    Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql