Re: Problem with press release - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chander Ganesan
Subject Re: Problem with press release
Date
Re: Problem with press release  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 07:25:00PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> I'm disputing Bruce's report that there *are* any.
>>
>> Well, this is what mutt thinks your MIME encoding is on the message I
>> got:
>>
>> text/plain, 8bit, iso-8859-1
>>
>> Probably the issue is not just that it's not ASCII, but that it's not
>> UTF-8 either.
>
> Interesting.  Ok, time for me to take it up with the KDE guys.  It's
> probably cut-and-paste from a cvs terminal session into Kmail that's
> fouling things.
ISO-8859-1 is basically ASCII, it simply adds for additional characters
after 127 ...  Most mail clients use it, or Windows-1252 (essentially
the same) today.

The fact that it's 8bit requires that it be quoted printable encoded,
since QP is required for sending all the 8 bit characters in 7 bit
encoding.  AFAIK, iso-8859-1 is the standard character set used by most
email clients that send ascii messages.

The =A0 character is a "non breaking space", it's a space that prevents
a line-wrap from occurring.  My guess is that Bruce's email client
somehow doesn't understand the non breaking space and as a result
displays just an <A0> in its place.  I would think this is a problem
with his mail client, not the message itself, in that it doesn't
understand iso-8859-1 ...

chander