Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
>

>> Why do so many people here insist on editing postgresql.conf as primary means
>> of changing config params?
>> Isn't a psql -c "SET foo=bar; MAKE PERSISTENT" just as good as sed'ing
>> postgresql.conf or doing it manually?
>>

> no, it's awful.

So I wonder why you accept it when configuring schemas. What's the big
difference between setting a config param, and creating a table?

And ultimately, the config param file format may well look like an SQL
command file, restricted to SET only.

> And in every major installation I've seen people use the last option. They
> treat the original text file which is kept elsewhere -- normally checked into
> some revision control system, tracked and managed like source code -- as the
> canonical and authoritative version.

That's how you'd have to manage the schema sources too, no? Your
comments are lost as well after schema creation scripts are executed,
and manual changes may interfere with that.

Regards,
Andreas