Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
Re: Overhauling GUCS  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Guys,

A configuration wizard would be nice, but it would be a good start to
add a section to the manual on how to do the basic tuning. AFAICS we
don't have one. Clear instructions on how to set the few most important
settings like shared_buffers and checkpoint_timeout/segments would
probably be enough, with a link to the main configuration section that
explains the rest of the settings.

If people don't read the manual, we can add a link to it from
postgresql.conf.sample, add a screen to the Windows installer suggesting
to read it, or even open postgresql.conf in Notepad.