Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Vysokovskih
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Can I express one's user view:

Greg Sabino Mullane writes:
> * Much more verbose comments. The abovementioned default_statistics_target
> is a very important settings, but there is zero explanation in the file
> of what it is. The only thing we're told is that it ranges from 10 - 1000.
> We can do better than that. Users would absolutely love it if each item
> had a clear explanation, and it would be well worth a slightly increased
> file size. See the postfix main.cf file for a good example of such.
>      Absolutely agreed :-). Total list of GUC and fully explanation each
of them is sufficient.
For "easy start", it might be a several postgresql.conf with
distribution, like mysql doing it,
or generate postgresql.conf by wizard-dialog before initdb starting, for
example.
But I think that all GUCs must present in configuration file.

Thanks.