Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David,

> I think having master-slave replication in the core using WAL is a
> *great* thing to do, doable, a good path to go on, etc., and I think
> it's worth holding up 8.4 until we have at least one actual
> out-of-the-box version of same.

Ah, ok.  Well, I can tell you that the core team is also united on the
value of time-based as opposed to feature-based release cycles.  *if* we
can develop this in time for 8.4, everybody would be overjoyed, but I
also think we should be realistic.

> People have hinted that we might be able to get both a synchronous one
> and an asynchronous one based on WAL, which would be even better. :)

That's the idea, yes. No reason to dump asynch WAL copying when it's
already working.

--Josh