Re: BUG #4196: Backend crash possible with psql - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Daniel Migowski
Subject Re: BUG #4196: Backend crash possible with psql
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello, Tom,

Tom Lane schrieb:

> Yeah, that's what I think too.  Specifically, we expect the gettext
> package to deliver translated error messages in the server_encoding,
> but it seems that's not what we're getting on Windows.  Without having
> dug into the gettext code, I wonder whether it is looking at lc_ctype
> and thinking it should return WIN1252 strings.
>
> Another interesting question is how initdb allowed you to select the
> above combination of settings.  8.3 is supposed to enforce that
> server_encoding is the same as the encoding implied by lc_ctype,
> which is evidently not the case here.
Why shouldn't this be possible? It must be possible to store the data in
UTF-8, and of course, to use this a the server encoding. The characters
used should be collated by German and use the german upper/lower
conventions. Looks perfectly sane to me.
> I recall we were tinkering with
> that code before 8.3 release, but I guess it's still not right :-(
>
>             regards, tom lane

With best regards,
Daniel Migowski