Can I track DB connections through a generic acct on the basis of linux idsid - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject Can I track DB connections through a generic acct on the basis of linux idsid
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi:

PG v8.3.4 on linux.  Server is at one corporate site, half the DB users are at that site, the other half are at a different site 2 time zones away.  Users from both sites access the DB through the same, generic postgres user accout that has select/insert/update/delete only.  And almost all of this is through perl scripts that use DBI as a gateway into the PG DB.

I want to be able to determine who ran what script and from what user site.  All this info is at my fingertips during the execution of the perl script. I would like to ba able to log this info immediately before or after the DB connection, not wait for the transaction or query to complete.  I would prefer not to have to insert this info to a log table because that would mean waiting for an additional network hit for simple queries from the remote site.

Is there a way to pass the info (idsid, app, site) to the perl/dbi connection string and get this info reported in the deamon runlog somehow?

How about "raise notice"?  Could that be made to work somehow?

OK, having said all that, a completely different tact...   There are 1468 potential users (idsids) out there that can query the DB.  Does it make sense to create a DB user for each of those, giving them all the same access through a role or something, and then attacking the problem from that direction?  Is 1468 impractical?

Thanks in advance!