Re: I/O on select count(*) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: I/O on select count(*)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Matthew Wakeling wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008, Luke Lonergan wrote:
>> ...HINT bit optimization, but avoids this whole ³write the data,
>> write it to the log also, then write it again just for good measure²
> The hint data will be four bits per tuple plus overheads, so it could be
> made very compact, and therefore likely to stay in the cache fairly
> well.

Does it seem like these HINT bits would be good candidates to move
off to map forks similar to how the visibility map stuff will be handled?

Since (if I understand right) only the hint bits change during the
select(*) it seems a lot less write-IO would happen if such a map
were updated rather than the data pages themselves.