Re: timestamp with time zone output incorrect - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Martin
Subject Re: timestamp with time zone output incorrect
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

>Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
>

>>On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 06:30:27PM +1200, Steve Martin wrote:
>>

>>>=> show timezone ;
>>>TimeZone
>>>-------------
>>>NZST-12NZDT
>>>(1 row)
>>>

>>I have no idea what timezone that it. Presumably it switches between
>>daylight savings and non-daylight savings based on the US rules?
>>

>Yeah, that's a POSIX zone spec.  See
>
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-TIMEZONES
>
>As noted there, if the OP really really wants to spell his zone name
>that way, he could fool with the "posixrules" file in the timezone
>database.  But Pacific/Auckland is probably better.  (I don't remember
>whether 8.1 would honor changes in "posixrules".)
>
>            regards, tom lane

Hi,

Thanks Martijn and Tom for your feedback.

Setting the timezone to Pacific/Auckland works.

Re-read the document reference Tom pointed to and found I missed the
comment about being wary of POSIX-style time zones.

Thanks
Steve Martin