Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From D. Dante Lorenso
Subject Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes?
Date
Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes?  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes?  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
List pgsql-general
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 07:46:07PM -0400, brian wrote:
>> Absolutely true. Which is odd, because this example is trotted out
>> whenever there's a thread about ENUMs.
> I don't think it's odd at all.  In my view, the people who think enums are a
> good datatype for databases are exactly the sorts who'd think that their
> data is as static as this poor understanding of the vagaries of individuals'
> sex (gender is a different problem, given its association with social roles)
> would suggest.

Or, here's another way to look at it ... make it easier to modify ENUM
datatypes because we all know that you will eventually need that feature
whether you males, females, and unknowns think so or not.

-- Dante