Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From brian
Subject Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes?
Date
Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes?  (Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Karsten Hilbert
> <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:38:48PM +0200, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>>
>>  > Yes. You should/can use ENUM for something like 'gender':
>>  > male, female, unknown. You don't need to add other values ever (yeah, i
>>  > skipped some special cases).
>>  I was gonna say ! :-)
>>
>>  Add
>>
>>   hermaphrodite
>>   transgender with female phenotype
>>   transgender with male phenotype
>>
>>  and you should be set from current medical science's point
>>  of view ;-)
>
> Actually, hermaphrodite specifies complete male and female genitalia,
> which is impossible in humans.  While various forms of address are
> available for people born with parts of both male and female
> genitalia, the most common and easiest is intersex.
>
> The folks here: http://www.isna.org/faq/ have a lot more to say about
> it, and seeing as how many of them ARE intersex, I'd leave it up to
> them.

Scott, there's absolutely nothing in that FAQ about their database, let
alone whether or not they use ENUMs.

(heh)

> While most transgender folks prefer to be referred to as their assumed
> gender, there are some gender queer folks who prefer other forms of
> address.
>
> I would put it that gender is not so easily defined, which makes it a
> poor choice for enum.

Absolutely true. Which is odd, because this example is trotted out
whenever there's a thread about ENUMs.