Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoffrey
Subject Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon)
Date
List pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:54:52 -0400
> Geoffrey <lists@serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> What about the:
>>
>> 8.1 -> slony -> 8.3
>> switch users to 8.3 databases
>>
>> solution.
>
> Is it? What is your transactional velocity? How long will the initial
> sync transaction have to run? You know vacuum isn't working while
> that transaction is open right? Are you going to have to setup up a
> dozen different replicated sets in order to get it done?
>
> Slony works in "some" cases it does not work in all nor the most
> critical (in terms of large sets with minimal downtime requirement).

I don't know that slony is the answer.  It was more of a question then
an answer.  We are hoping to use that solution to migrate from 7.4.19 to
8.3.1.  The primary reason is to reduce downtime.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin