Re: [DOCS] Questionable tag usage - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Jürgen Purtz
Subject Re: [DOCS] Questionable tag usage
Date
List pgsql-docs

Some general notes to the discussion about <xref> vs. <link> rendering in the new toolchain:

(1) There is a general distinction in the meaning of the two elements: <xref> is an internal link with validation semantic whereas <link> is an external link to any URL. See: http://doccookbook.sourceforge.net/html/en/dbc.markup.xref-vs-link.html

(2) The rendering of <xref> can be customized via its xrefstyle-attribute. It switches numbering, title, page number, ... on or off, see: http://doccookbook.sourceforge.net/html/en/dbc.markup.xref.html#sec.markup.xref.xrefstyle . This feature is available per element usage or as a default behaviour, which is defined in the language file of the xslt process (eg: en.xml).

(3) The option to render the xref-output as described in (2) is available since docbook 4.3. Unfortunately we use docbook 4.2. To overcome this shortage we can use the following - more or less cumbersome - workaround: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomXrefs.html#RoleNotXrefstyle and http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomGentext.html .

Kind regards, Jürgen Purtz