Re: PostgresSQL on a networked drive with multiple users - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: PostgresSQL on a networked drive with multiple users
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/04/2008 09:58, J Ottery wrote:
> Thanks Craig for making me look like an idiot. I feel bad now.
>
> When I posted I suspected that what you have just replied with was the
> case.

I'm sure that wasn't Craig's intent. I'd hazard a guess that you've been
using Access or a similar single-file-based DB where the you simply
point the front-end at the data file, and the front-end looks after
locking and concurrency (I think - I may be way off on this). PostgreSQL
and other "heavyweight" DBMSs require a different mind-set - think of
the server as a black box at which you fire off your SQL and get back
the results.

HTH,

Ray.

rod@iol.ie