Re: Postgres on shared network drive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomasz Ostrowski
Subject Re: Postgres on shared network drive
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2008-04-11 08:53, J Ottery wrote:

> I install PostgreSQL on a client PC and put the data files on a
> networked drive (instead of the local drive).  Postgres as user and
> localport. This works well.

This is not the way it is meant to work, and it can eat your data.

> Now I install postgresSQL on another client machine and point it to
> the same data directory on the network drive.

Wrong. You have to install PostgreSQL on one computer, with data
directory on local hard drive, and allow many client computers to
connect to it.

> Will this setup work OK for multiple / concurrent users and accessing
> the same tables on either of the client machines or is there something
> else I need to be aware of?

It won't work. Don't even try.

Regards
Tometzky
--
...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a
moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you