Re: PG secure for financial applications ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From paul rivers
Subject Re: PG secure for financial applications ...
Date
List pgsql-general
Micah Yoder wrote:
> Just curious, would PostgreSQL be considered secure for applications involving
> financial matters where the clients have a direct database logon?
>
> First, to clarify, I'm not in a serious position to write such an application.
> I'm just wondering.  :-)  If it is possible, I may make a proof of concept
> application and document it on a public website.  Kind of for fun, but also
> as a learning experience

My $0.02 - if you're trying to be pragmatic about it, your starting
point should be whatever audit regulations govern your definition of
"financial matters", and how well-worn the path is to compliance on
Postgres.

Some audit regulations range from dubious to absurd, but they are still
going to be what you have to answer to in the financial world. There are
areas where Postgres will have difficulties, at least against the regs
I've worked with, but IMHO these areas have little to do with real security.

Paul