Re: Benchmark: Dell/Perc 6, 8 disk RAID 10 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jesper Krogh
Subject Re: Benchmark: Dell/Perc 6, 8 disk RAID 10
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:09 PM, justin <justin@emproshunts.com> wrote:
>
>>  I chose to use ext3 on these partition
>
> You should really consider another file system.  ext3 has two flaws
> that mean I can't really use it properly.  A 2TB file system size
> limit (at least on the servers I've tested) and it locks the whole
> file system while deleting large files, which can take several seconds
> and stop ANYTHING from happening during that time.  This means that
> dropping or truncating large tables in the middle of the day could
> halt your database for seconds at a time.  This one misfeature means
> that ext2/3 are unsuitable for running under a database.

I cannot acknowledge or deny the last one, but the first one is not
true. I have several volumes in the 4TB+ range on ext3 performing nicely.

I can test the "large file stuff", but how large? .. several GB is not a
problem here.

Jesper
--
Jesper