Re: [SQL] Deploying PostgreSQL on virtualized hardware - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Colin Wetherbee
Subject Re: [SQL] Deploying PostgreSQL on virtualized hardware
Date
List pgsql-general
TJ O'Donnell wrote:
> I've been running PostgreSQL on a virtual server for several years
> now.  I'm using VMWare with a Windows host and Linux guest.  I've
> configured it to let Linux use a raw partition as a disk.  Before I
> used a separate partition, the virtual disk had been a Windows
> file.  Using the disk partition increased performance, but I don't
> recall now exactly how much. This is a small setup with a handful
> of users. The database contains only dozens of tables, but some
> have ~8 million rows.  I've allocated 1Mb of RAM to the virtual
> machine.

TJ,

Thanks for your input.  I was asking more about hosted elastic
servers, like those provided by the Xen hypervisor, though.

(BTW, how did this end up on the SQL list?  I'm going to put it back
on the general list. :) )

Colin