Deploying PostgreSQL on virtualized hardware - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Colin Wetherbee
Subject Deploying PostgreSQL on virtualized hardware
Date
List pgsql-general
In a couple months, I'm going to be considering how best to deploy an
application I have that uses PostgreSQL as its back-end.  It also makes
heavy use of Perl under mod_perl and UMN MapServer with a sprinkling of
PostGIS.

I've recently become intrigued by the idea of virtualized servers [0],
but I don't know anyone who uses them, so I thought I'd ask the list if
any of you have tried deploying PostgreSQL or any other disk-heavy
software on them?

I'm not familiar with how the virtualized disks are arranged, how
volatile the memory is, and so forth.  And, unfortunately, the
advertising folk don't seem to be very keen on divulging the technical
details.

It would certainly be nice to pay $60 per month for eight virtualization
slots and scale up from there as the service grows, rather than buying
$10,000 worth of servers when they won't be even close to fully utilized
for a several months.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Colin