Re: Permanent settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Permanent settings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> If they don't have an actual database, it's fairly common to use SQLite or
> similar just to get proper database storage for it.

With all the concern about parsing in this thread, perhaps it's best
if this config-overrides file not be of the same syntax as postgresql.conf
at all.

If the interactive form of these overrides will be
"SET PERMANENTLY work_mem TO 65MB;", why not make the override
config file use the same syntax; since a parser for it'll have
to exist anyway?

Maybe some XML bloat.  Or, since you mentioned it, perhaps SQLite
itself, since some people on the thread seem to want sql-like
syntaxes to maintain it?

[Personally, we maintain perl scripts that apply patches to
the default postgresql.conf; and check those in to source
control.  I don't think I'd use this override file feature.]