Re: tzcode update - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: tzcode update
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 04:32:58PM +0100, Bjorn Munch wrote:
>>> Ouch!  This fails on our Solaris builds, because we build with the
>>> Solaris timezone files.  And these apparently don't work beyond 2038
>>> and don't know that Finland plans to have DST also in the summer of
>>> 2050...
>>>
>>> I haven't studied this in depth but I'm afraid the answer is "fix your
>>> own timezone files"?
>
>> Or use the ones shipping with pg ;-)
>
> Yeah.  I included the far-future cases in the committed patch
> specifically to make it obvious if you were using tz files that lacked
> post-2038 support.

Agreed, we want to give people a notice.

What we could do is to add comments to the expected output file, that
would show up in regression.diffs, that explain what the failure means.

> I can't imagine that fixing this isn't pretty darn high on the Solaris
> to-do list, anyway.

Yep, and PostgreSQL 8.4 won't be released for quite some time.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas