Re: Perceived weaknesses of postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brad Nicholson
Subject Re: Perceived weaknesses of postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> Slony is good as long as there are no DDLs issued.  And its easy to
> shoot oneself in the foot if one is not careful (some time ago I have
> lost all the triggers while upgrading from 8.1 to 8.2; it was my fault
> since I did pg_dump -s on a slave database, not on the master...).

It can also be a very time consuming process.  It often also involves
having to juggle resources around, find extra disk space floating around
somewhere to build extra replicas, or abandon your fail over target for
a period of time while upgrade that.

BTW, the trigger issue goes away with 8.3 and Slony 2.0.

Brad.