Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James Mansion
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> There is, although I think a large fraction of it will get bounced as
> "needs more work", which should reduce the pressure.  We'll just be
> trying to give feedback to let the patch authors move forward, which
> will not take as much time as actually committing would take.
>
> The current queue is
> http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches_hold
> Note that a lot of the bulk is discussion of things that aren't
> anywhere near committable anyway.

Wouldn't it make sense try to catch up a bit and fix as much of this as
is feasible (including
return and resubmit) for things where the desire is uncontroversial,
even if the implementation
is flawed, and accept other things that are fully acceptable in the time
it takes to do that, and
then call it a wrap?

The curre nt *plan* is for a 14 month cycle.  And it will probably
slip.  Some of the
queued items are going to be very old by the time you go to 8.4 on this
program,
which seems a shame.  That sort of plan looks to me more like a 'major
refactoring
to get to 9.0' sort of plan, than an incremental release.

James