Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 3:57 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>
>> I would like to see this tied down some more. The time for the commit
>> fests is too open ended. I think we should say something like "All
>> commit fests will run no more than two weeks, except for the final
>> commit fest which can run for one month."
>>

> I think thats one of the problems - without knowing what patches are
> going to come in, or how many there will be, we have no way of knowing
> how long each fest will take. What this does mean though is that we
> continuously feedback to developers and keep the patch queue down -
> kinda like checkpoint smoothing I guess.

I would rather set a target and modify it if necessary based on
experience than have none at all.

The danger of not doing so is that we'll be in almost constant 'commit
fest' mode.

cheers

andrew