Re: Lets get the 8.3 Announcement on the front page of Digg - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: Lets get the 8.3 Announcement on the front page of Digg
Date
List pgsql-general
Tony Caduto wrote:
> At the bottom of that Register article I saw this article:
> http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/01/24/stonebraker_dewitt_mapreduce/
>
> In which it says:
>
> "Ingres inventor and Postgres architect Mike Stonebraker"
>
> So this Stonebraker guy is the Postgres Architect?

Yes in the early 70's Michael Stonebraker and Eugene Wong started Ingres
at Berkeley - then he left Berkeley to start Ingres Corp.

After selling that in the mid 80's he returned to Berkeley and with
Lawrence A. Rowe started Postgres. He left in the early 90's using that
early Postgres code to start Illustra.

After Berkeley dropped the Postgres project it was picked it up by a few
developers and grew into PostgreSQL as you know it today.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/history.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Stonebraker

--

Shane Ambler