Re: Feature Freeze Date for Next Release - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Feature Freeze Date for Next Release
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Wouldn't seeing which patches are trickling in during the first months
of 8.4 development give a better indication of when it should be
freezable?   I'm all in favor of having lots of advance notice and
predictable schedules --- but it seems in the next month or so we'll
have a lot more insight of whether 8.4'll be getting big features or
little ones based on what work-in-progress patches start coming.

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Can I ask when the Feature Freeze for next release will be?

This gives me flashbacks to this earlier thread:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-09/msg01979.php
Simon Riggs in 2006 wrote:
> David Page wrote:
>> Following the recent discussion on this list and another on pgsql-core,
>> we have decided that we would like to aim to meet the following schedule
>> for the release of PostgreSQL 8.3:
>>
>> April 1st 2007 - Feature freeze
>> June 1st 2007 - Release
>
> I'm very happy to have clearly stated dates. That means we can all plan
> what we'll be able to achieve in that time, which is important when some
> of the largest or most complex features are being considered.

Quoting Simon in 2008 again:
> We've long expressed the wish to move development onto a cycle that ends
> in the Spring, so next alternative would appear to be end-March-2009,
> which is 14 months away now.

In light of the 2006 thread, I'd say April First like the previous
thread would be better than End-March for those with a sense of irony.