Re: Column stores - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Column stores
Date
Re: Column stores  (Seth Grimes <grimes@altaplana.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Luke Lonergan wrote:
>> ...column stores...
>
> WRT "all the rage" - you'd have to point to more than press releases about
> technology to make that case.  We've beaten the "all the rage" companies in
> every POC so far and I haven't seen or heard of significant reference
> installations.

I thought KX System's KDB is a column-oriented database which
had impressive reference customers (Fidelity, BofA, JPMorgan, etc)
with their column store database since the early 90s.

But yeah - I'm curious why all the hype around new column oriented
databases when it seems people already determined what niche
applications they're great for quite some time ago.