Re: Speed with offset clause - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Radu-Adrian Popescu
Subject Re: Speed with offset clause
Date
List pgsql-performance
> I just ran this query
>
> select p.* from tblPrintjobs p , (select oid from tblPrintjobs limit 25
> offset 622825) as subset where p.oid = subset.oid

I'm just curious here, from a social point of view. How often do you think
someone will paginate over say 300K rows in steps of 25 ?
The way I see things, pagination is only meant for humans. If someone
really looks at 300K rows then it's really cheaper and makes more sense to
download them/import into spreadsheet program instead of clicking next
12.000 times.
If it's not intended for humans then there's better ways of doing this.

Regards,
--
Radu-Adrian Popescu
CSA, DBA, Developer