Re: Postgresql Materialized views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Postgresql Materialized views
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Roberts, Jon wrote:
>> What gets
>> implemented is whatever individual contributors choose to work on,
>> either because they find it interesting or (in some cases) because
>> someone pays them to do something specific.  Certainly, some
>> contributors pay attention to what's being requested, but I see no
>> reason to think that increasing the level of formality will help them.
>>

> What happens when a person adds a feature or changes the architecture of the
> database that is perceived by some as incorrect or going in the wrong
> direction?

If that's the general perception it doesn't get added to our source
tree. It's very rare that it gets to anything like as formal as a vote.
To avoid the possibility of people spending lots of time doing work
which is ultimately not adopted, we strongly discourage ivory tower
development. For major features especially, developers are encouraged to
discuss early and often.

But that's a different issue from which items people work on, which is
very much a matter of individual choice, or at least something the
community has little control over.

cheers

andrew