Re: DOC: Wal update - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: DOC: Wal update
Date
List pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> I add few sentences how to write cache works on Solaris platform.
>
> I have updated our documentation with the attached patch.  I was able to
> verify all the information in this change.

Thanks.

> I changed your original wording because the statement that UFS turns off
> write cache seemed unclear because the file system seems independent of
> the disk write cache.  (What happens if you have UFS and ZFS on the same
> drive?)

You are right UFS does not modify (write) cache setting and it is usually
disabled by default on most disks. If ZFS and UFS are  on same disk, than ZFS
don't enable disk cache. It is a reason why put ZFS on separate disk is better. See
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide#Storage_Pools

> Anyway I think the attached wording is fine.

Yes, it is.

        Zdenek

PS: There are some articles about ZFS.

http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide