Search for fixed set of keywords - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jörg Kiegeland
Subject Search for fixed set of keywords
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hello,

I have an interesting generic search task, for which I have done
different performance tests and I would like to share and discuss my
results on this newsgroup.

So I begin to describe the search task:

=========
You have a set of N unique IDs. Every ID is associated with an integer
scoring value. Every ID is also associated with up to K different
keywords (there are totally K different keywords K1 ... Kn). Now find
the first Z best-scored IDs which are associated with a given set of
keywords in one of two ways:

(C1) The ID must be associated with all keywords of the given set of
keywords.
(C2) The ID must be associated with at least one keyword of the given
set of keywords.
=========

My tests showed that only a Multiple-Column-approach resulted in a
acceptable query response time. I also tried out an int-array approach
using gist,  a sub-string approach, a bit-column approach, and even a
sub-string approach using Solr.
Actually, the int-array approach was 20% faster for Z=infinity, but it
became linear for the test case [Z=1000 and *all* IDs matches the search
condition].
(To be not misunderstood, "acceptable time" means: having a fixed Z, a
fixed set of keywords K, a fixed query, and an increasing N, results in
constant up to logarithmic response time; linear or worser-than-linear
time is not accepted)

In the Multiple-Column-approach, there is one table. The table has a
boolean column for each keyword. It has also a column for the ID and for
the scoring. Now, for each keyword column and for the scoring column a
separate index is created.
C1 is implemented by an AND-query on the keyword columns, C2 by and OR
query, and the result is sorted for the scoring column, cutting of after
the first Z results.

However our requirements for the search task have changed and I not yet
managed to find a search approach with acceptable response time for
following variation:
Namely that one uses C2 and do not sort for a scoring column but use as
scoring value the number of matched keywords for a given ID.
The difficulty in this query type is that the scoring is dependent on
the query itself..

So has anyone an idea how to solve this query type with acceptable
response time, or can anybody tell/prove, that this is theoretically not
possible?