Feature request: -infinity and infinity for date types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Toews
Subject Feature request: -infinity and infinity for date types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I hope I found the right list for this request. I am aware that timestamp with[out] time zone data types have -infinity
andinfinity key values; see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/datatype-datetime.html

However, there is no equivalent for date types, and expressions like the following don't work as expected:
select ('infinity'::timestamp with time zone)::date;

This feature request is for PG to support -infinity and infinity for date types. (There is no rush for this feature, as
I'mpresently using arbitrarily large dates like '2099-01-01'::date for this test).

Also, I dug up this same request from 2001:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2001-09/msg00167.php

Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,
-Mike